Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Delia is 5

Delia turned 5 on September 20. I can't believe it has been 5 years since the birth of my first child and that I have been a mom for 5 years now.

Delia,

I can't believe it has been 5 years since you have been born. They aren't kidding when they say time flies and to enjoy you while you are young. I couldn't wait to become a mom. We tried for a while and I was so excited when I found out I was pregnant with you. I spotted and bled early in my pregnancy with you and they didn't see a heartbeat when I went for my 6 week ultrasound. I though the worse but 2 weeks later we saw a cute little baby with a beating heart. You gave me a few movement scares during my pregnancy since you were a mellow baby and your placenta was in front of you. My doctor scheduled appointments to listen to your heartbeat to reassure me. I was so happy when you were born and couldn't believe you were here and you were alive and you were here to stay and would get to go home with us. We had some trouble with learning to latch but we got through it. I am glad I stuck it out even though it was hard in the beginning because I loved the bonding the closeness of breastfeeding and it became a big part of parenting a baby and a toddler. You were a very mellow newborn and were content as long as you had a full belly. You slept pretty good and got up to 6-8 hour stretches before I knew it. Since you were my first it was a learning experience.

 4 months hit and you started getting emotional and sharing your opinions and it hasn't stopped since. You started waking at night and you got fussy and particular. It is 5 years later and your emotions till run high. You started throwing tantrums early and still can throw a mean tantrum. You were easy going in other ways. You were not a toddler who got into everything or took risks. You would climb the play equipment on the playground I could be confident you knew what you were doing and wouldn't do anything crazy. You were also a perfectionist. You couldn't even stand on your own and one day I stood you up and you walked across the room. We were worried about you talking and then your 2nd birthday hit and before I knew it you were talking in complete sentences with good articulation. Although no one would probably believe me when you first started walking and talking because you were very slow to warm up and didn't like being put on the spot a trait you still have. It takes you time to warm up to some people and situations. You were very cautious your first year of preschool and since it was a class of 20 kids you didn't really have a chance to open up. We found a smaller school for your next year of preschool and you made friends and loved going to school. You talked about your friends from school but you still were a bit cautious and reserved and didn't fully open up. This year you are doing great in preschool. All the kids in your class like you and you are making friends easily. You are not a outgoing kid but you are holding conversations with other kids now and making friends.

You always have been a very imaginative kid. You started playing with dolls imaginatively shortly after you turned 1 and you have continued that ever since. You are so imaginative in your play and it is fun to watch your creativity grow. You remind me of me when I was a little girl with your dolls. You make up all kinds of scenarios and act through things that go on in your life.

You have been a great big sister when Teddy and Cora were born. When Teddy was born you were 2 and you cried when they took him to do a hearing test because you didn't want him to go. You always asked if Teddy was going to come to when we went out and liked to wear your matching pj's or overalls. You were always so nice to him when he was a baby and a young toddler and he looked up to you. When Cora was born you also were a great big sister. Since you were older when she was born you could help a little and you loved to hold and carry her. You named one of your babies Cora and dressed the baby in Cora's clothes. You have always been so sweet to your siblings until Teddy started talking and acting like a kid and not a toddler. Then you guys started fighting like cats and dogs. You do get along good together and play well together and enjoy each others company for the most part but you guys sure can fight too.

You can now ride a 2 wheel bike and have gotten good at it. You can ride it on trails with hills. You are a cautious kid so that is pretty impressive. You have been hiking with me since you were a baby but you been hiking on your own since last summer and have done 3-4 mile hikes. You have been dressing yourself since 2 and are good at picking clothes and have a real sense of fashion. You always liked pink and wearing fancy dresses. You like princesses, dressing up, hair pretties and sparkly girly clothes. You will not wear jeans and would only wear dresses for over a year. You are definitely a girly girl. I wasn't a girly girl and still am not so this is new to me.

I can't believe it has been 5 years. It has been a learning experience and since you were my first we made some mistakes and learned the ropes and settled into becoming parents. I read a lot before you were born but once you were here I found my own path. I can't believe it has been 5 years since that beautiful sunny fall day when we became parents to a tiny baby who had joined us from the womb. It has been quite the journey watching you grow. I wish I could hit the pause button sometimes but it is nice watching you change and grow. I am glad to be your mom and can't wait to see what is ahead.

Love mom


Days old

1 year

2 years

3 years

4 years

5 years

No comments:

Post a Comment